Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Busy day today

Today was Kayleigh's first trip to the dentist. Unfortunately, we got in on a cancellation, which meant her appointment was at 2:00--right at the beginning of nap time. We still went to the library for Story Time, and when we got home, we ate lunch and got ready to dye Easter eggs. Kayleigh had a lot of fun mixing the colors, although one egg started to look a little brown. At the end, Brian decided he wanted to give it a shot, so I let him drop eggs in a couple of the cups. We had just enough time after that activity to get ready for the dentist, so we had to do a quick clean up and go.

Oh, before I forget! Brian has been picking up a lot of words lately. I don't realize how many he has, either. At lunch, the kids had the choice of sharing either an apple or a pear. I asked Kayleigh what she wanted, and then she turned to Brian and asked, "Do you want an apple or a pear?" I promise the boy said "Apple". Actually, I got a video of him saying some of his words, so that should prove it to you. At the end of lunch, I asked Brian if he was all done, and he said his "Yeah!" that I need to get a video of. Then, I asked him if he could say "All done" using his hands for sign language. HE SAID IT!! Granted, it's not clear by any stretch of the means, but he definitely said it. It's on the video, too! I tried to show case most of his words on the video, but I forgot to get him to say "yeah". He also says, "mama" and "dada". There might be something else that I'm missing, but he doesn't have many more words than what you'll hear below.

So, off we went to the dentist. Kayleigh was a little worried about taking x-rays, which I thought was interesting. We have a Blue's Clues book about going to the dentist, and I hope it helped her. The hygienist was super nice, as was the dentist. Kayleigh wanted to bring one of her babies, which I thought was a good idea. Since it was our first time there, I got to go back with her. The hygienist brushed and flossed Kayleigh's teeth, after showing her what she was going to do on Kayleigh's doll. She gave Kayleigh some sunglasses to wear since it's such a bright light in her eyes. Later, Kayleigh asked me, "Why did she give me sunglasses? I could have closed my eyes." HA! The dentist said she would probably do x-rays at the next visit. Overall, Kayleigh's teeth look great! Brian had fun there, too, I think since he wasn't the one being checked. He made himself at home, taking off one shoe and sock. Then he wouldn't let me put them back on!
After going back to the reception area to check out, Kayleigh had to go BACK to see the dentist because she was trying to reach a little doodle pad thing, and clumsy as she is, tripped and hit her face on a table. I felt terrible because I didn't see it, but I heard the fall and when I looked around the corner I can see the look of pain on Kayleigh's face as she turned to run to me. Granted, she still had enough presence of mind to grab the doodle pad, so it couldn't have been too bad, but the receptionist said we might as well have the dentist check her out while we were there.
Poor Brian is exhausted from all of the excitement and the late hour, so he fell asleep on the way home and is upstairs sleeping now. Kayleigh is on a chair in the living room watching a movie. I told her she didn't have to go to sleep since it was already almost 3:30, but she did have to have quiet time. She said she wanted to watch a long kid's show, and I had recorded "Princess and the Frog" a couple of weeks ago, so she's watching that now.

1 comment:

Matthew and Valerie said...

Brian seems quite proud of himself and all of the words he can say. I'm not at all surprised that Kayleigh was good at the dentist.