Saturday, September 24, 2011

Praying mantis

We were cleaning up from playing outside this morning, and Kayleigh started freaking out in her Jeep.  We knew some kind of bug was in there, but we didn't know what it was.  I was so surprised to see a praying mantis!  We heard a few weeks ago at the Grape Festival that they lived here in town, but I had never seen one.  I got a bunch of pictures of it while it was on Kayleigh's Jeep.  It looked like it might lunge at Kayleigh, but it didn't and we reassured her that it wouldn't hurt her even if it did.  Not a minute later it jumped on me, and in Kayleigh's words, I "freaked out"!  That may be an understatement.  We don't want our kids to be afraid of every kind of bug, but I don't really know what those suckers can do to a person!  Erik got it in our bug net and put it on the tree.
Here it is right before jumping on me:
Here it is on the tree after being rescued by Erik:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks like too much body for that little head.