Monday, October 11, 2010

Atlanta

Erik and I decided that we wanted to take a vacation, but not anywhere too far from home. We went to Atlanta last weekend, leaving Thursday before 2PM and returning Sunday around 6. It was the perfect amount of time to be away from home. Kayleigh loved staying in the hotel and sleeping on the pull-out couch. We stayed in a 1 bedroom suite so that Erik and I wouldn't have to go to bed at the same time as the kids, although I think we were all in bed and asleep at the same time on Saturday night!
Here's a breakdown of the weekend:
Thursday evening: We got to the hotel around 8, checked everything out and got the kids into bed. Not too exciting...

Friday: We took the kids to the Georgia Aquarium. Both of them loved seeing the fish. The Aquarium is AMAZING, and I'm so glad we went! I'm just sorry that Brian won't remember it, because I'm sure it's going to be awhile before we make it back there again. My favorite part was the penguins. Kayleigh liked the touch pool with the sharks and stingrays. She also liked watching the scuba diver cleaning one of the tanks! I HIGHLY recommend it if anyone is debating whether or not to go. We got the kids back for naps that afternoon, and that evening just went over to the mall for some quick dinner, because Erik and I were too tired to sit for long at a restaurant. Pitiful, huh? Especially since it was really the one night we could have taken advantage of going to a restaurant that's not local.

Saturday: We weren't really sure what to do in the morning, but finally decided to go to Ikea. Who wouldn't want to spend their Saturday morning there?? My favorite buy was an egg slicer. I've wanted one for awhile, although I've never looked very hard for one. After another round of naps, we took the kids over to Stone Mountain to ride to the top of the mountain and then stay for the laser show. Brian was ready for bed, but couldn't sleep, so he didn't really enjoy it so much. Kayleigh liked the laser show, but didn't like the accompanying fireworks.

Sunday: We ate breakfast at the hotel and then packed up and got ready to leave. Before leaving Atlanta, though, we went over to Centennial Park so the kids could play for awhile and get rid of some energy before the 5 hour drive home. We had kind of decided not to let Kayleigh play in the fountains because we didn't bring any towels with us. Of course, that wouldn't do for her, and eventually we let her play in them in her clothes. She air dried on the way back to the car and we got her into some dry clothes. Erik was brave enough to go in with her, so he also had to change back at the car.

We had a wonderful time away from home, and we are excited to go on another family vacation. I think these shorter vacations are much better for us than longer ones. It's just the right amount of time to be away from home and our responsibilities. I will say that I already miss being somewhere else where people come in and clean my room, cook my meals and wash my dishes!

I realized yesterday that I can download pictures onto this computer, so I can show you pictures from the weekend.

1 comment:

Matthew and Valerie said...

I'm impressed that Kayleigh was willing to touch the sting rays since she didn't want to do that at the zoo with us. Know you all had a fun weekend. At least you have pictures so Brian could see that he had a good time! :)