Saturday, October 30, 2010

Kayleigh's first race

I know that back in May, Kayleigh got a medal for finishing this race, but today she actually ran a whole race. We told her beforehand that she was allowed to run or walk, but she couldn't stop. I know we stopped once to put on her sweatshirt, I think she walked for a minute, and one time she sat down, but that was because she had seen some other girls do it. She finished the race in 17 minutes. Wow!
The race was at Jack's church (Kayleigh's friend). There was a character there to cheer everyone on. I think people were calling him BB, so that's the name we'll go with. Kayleigh saw him before we started the race (he was at the starting line) and she started to freak out. She's not big on people dressed up in huge constumes like that. We thought she wasn't going to run at first. Erik had to carry her past the starting line before she would let him put her down for her to run. She did so well, and at the end of the race, we had to run through the church's parking lot to get to the finish line. Thankfully, the sun was in Kayleigh's eyes, so she couldn't see BB standing at the finish line. I was behind Kayleigh a couple of feet trying to signal to BB to get out of her line of vision. She made it until about 10 feet before the finish line before she saw him and did an about face to try to run in the opposite direction. I held her hand and got her to go past him. Later, Erik and Kayleigh talked about BB and not being afraid of him. After Erik ran the 5K, she went up to him and gave him a high five. After the two races, the church had a Fall Festival, so we went over there to play for awhile. You need to watch the video of Kayleigh going down the huge slide. Erik and I thought for sure she was going to freak out at the top, but she did great, and then wanted to go again!
We were hungry from all of the excitement, so we decided to finish off the morning's fun with lunch at Chick-Fil-A. YUM!



4 comments:

Loving Mommyhood said...

Yay Kayleigh! Did she give BB a high 5 or a 5K?

Matthew and Valerie said...

LOVE the pre-race picture! I can't believe you took a picture of her while running the race. Too cute!

Kayleigh and Brian said...

Thanks Jenna! You can tell I had 5K on the brain! My mom called for an explanation on that one, too.

Anonymous said...

I need pictures. They are all so good. Now I know Kayleigh can outwalk me.